Thursday, September 11, 2008

I am being haunted by the ghost of Otis Redding.

The weather is beautiful, Autumn is just around the corner. You can smell it on the breeze, and see it in the sunsets. My favorite time of year. Everything takes on the feeling of bittersweet nostalgia and mysticism.

I worked a thirteen-hour work day today. The second half, cooking, was rough. I got by by drinking Marsala cooking wine and listening to Otis Redding's "Definitive Collection".

I believe I am being haunted by Otis' ghost. I hear him whispering in my ears, I see his big frame lurking under the glow of street lamps, and his words reach deep into parts of me that I didn't even know existed. Whether or not he wrote those Words is superfluous. He sang them, and that's enough for me. He brought the abstract to the concrete, pulled a little bit of the Spirit World into our own dismal plane, and gave those same Words infinite weight. Then, in 1967, he died in a plane crash in Wisconsin. So it goes.

I need to sleep more. I feel I am losing momentum.

Today's playlist:
Descendents - Everything Sucks
Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst
Otis Redding - The Definitive Collection
the Sidekicks - So Long, Soggy Dog
Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne
Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

No comments: