Friday, November 13, 2009

Rainclouds and Cigarettes: The North Country

10-10

I didn't write anything last night because I felt awful, naively drank a bottle of 'tussin, and promptly lost my mind. I still feel weird today, though a rib-sticking dinner at Cracker Barrel helped me feel a little more human.

We sliced cleanly through Northern Missouri yesterday, and though I myself am certainly guilty of a bias on the subject, I believe the general consensus was that it was the prettiest drive so far on this trip.

Tonight we're freezing our balls off in the North country. The bar the boys were supposed to play at wouldn't even let Timmy in the building, as he's just a pup at twenty, so while the rest sat inside and tried to figure out what the fuck was going on and got soused on the free beer, Timmy and I bundled up and wandered the chilly streets of downtown Milwaukee. We smoked cigarettes and drank hot chocolate, talked about girls and God and Dinosaur Jr and all the other important things in life, and pressed our chapped faces to the darkened windows of closed record and comic book stores.

I am the master of run-on sentences.

So now here we are. Milwaukee. We're sitting in the van, sucking on cough drops and spinning the radio dial. The van's heater feels so good.

Lake Michigan at night is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

No comments: